30th Abingdon Scout Troop went to South Wales for their Summer camp this year. We asked the Scouts to give some feedback on the camp and three replied:
What was the highlight of the camp?
- Visiting the Doctor Who Experience.
- All of the activities, especially white water rafting at Cardiff International White Water.
- White water rafting because it was fun and gave me an adrenaline rush!
What was the lowlight of the camp?
- Spraining my ankle and having to go to A&E.
- There wasn’t a lowlight as I enjoyed everything but not good to fall out of my hammock!
What difficulties did you have on camp?
- It was difficult to get everyone in the patrol to stay focussed on the jobs around the camp, and looking after myself but that will be easier next time.
- The only difficulty I found was getting back up the top of the ski slope!
What could have been done differently?
- Having to work out what you need to do yourself is part of being a scout so don’t change that. Somewhere to dry wet kit would have helped. I found a week was a long time to be in camp.
- The washing up rota was quite confusing.
Do you have anything else to add?
- This was my second camp. It was really fun because we did tons of interesting activities like white water rafting. I got to camp away from home for a week. All the other scouts made it great fun. Geoff and James and Ali are good leaders and made sure we were safe and had fun.
- It was my first full week Scout camp and I had an amazing time. I was a bit nervous about white water rafting but it turned out to be my favourite thing. It was good fun sleeping in the hammocks. I got to know the other Scouts better and made good friends with them. I think it is great that our Scout leader, his wife and assistant Scout leader and parents gave up their time to allow the camp to go ahead. Thank you.